Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Milo & Otis


Sixteen years ago, two kittens arrived,
            Now only one old cat survives.
Sixteen years ago two kittens battled and played,
            Now one old cat sleeps all day.
Sixteen years ago, two kittens tormented a mouse,
            Now one old cat lies around the house.
Sixteen years ago, two kittens attacked our toes,
            Now one old cat prefers to doze.

Milo and Otis were brothers who became part of our family sixteen years ago.  Milo is a short-haired, yellow tabby, while Otis had long, tri-colored, mostly white fur.  We lost Otis a little over a year ago to a respiratory infection.  Since then Milo has become a grouchy old man, howling his demands between naps.  His hair is falling out in clumps.  He takes daily medication.  He refuses to drink from a dish, instead preferring the bathroom faucet.  When we spend a night away, he meets us at the door howling his displeasure.  He wakes me up at 5:30 each morning and demands we go to bed by 10:00 each night.  He hates when I talk on the phone, usually batting me with his double paws and howling through the entire conversation.  Over the past six months, Milo has been losing weight and fur.  His time with us will also end someday soon.  We will miss him as much as we miss his brother.  More than a pet, he is an old dear friend. 

3 comments:

  1. Milo sounds like he has such a personality! (Kind of like Tush in the book <>)
    I really like the way you started your writing with the phrases "sixteen years ago" and "now." It really got me ready to read the prose that followed.
    SAS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your little poem - an ode to cats in general - and specifically to Milo. My children loved the movie Milo and Otis and I think it is sweet that you chose those names for your cats. I hope Otis isn't too lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The poem was a really nice way to compare then and now. I can relate to a pet as a friend. I feel the same way about a dog I had when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete